Business start-up information for Alberta's small business community
Do you need professional help for your business? Access this online database of accredited professionals. It includes accountants, legal professionals, business valuators and auditors. Also, take advantage of our seasonal Business Link .
Thinking of Starting a Business?Are you tired of working for somebody else? Have you identified an exciting new business opportunity? If you think that you are ready to venture out on your own and you've got what it takes to endure the long hours required to invest in your business - then entrepreneurship may be for you!
- Guide for New Alberta Businesses (PDF)
- Issues to Consider When Naming a Business
- Can You Make Money With Your Idea or Invention?
- Market Research: The Basics?
- Store Location - "Little Things" Mean a Lot
Starting a Small BusinessCongratulations! You've decided to start your own business! So where do you start? Look here to find out what you need to do to comply with government regulations pertaining to business.
Check out our Small Business Webinars: BizStart Webinar Series 1: MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS
Ready to make your business a reality? Here’s where you start! Get the essentials in this three-part series. You will learn the basics of developing a business plan, what market research you need for the plan, as well as financing options to fund your start-up. Learn more about this series in our video.
Basic Start-up Information
- The Business Plan & You (PDF file)
- Small Business Insurance
- Business Start-up Checklist
- Legal Issues in Starting a Business
- Forms of Business Organization
- Home-Based Business
- Guest Advisor Program
Looking for "expert" advice? Contact one of our Guest Advisors. You can speak to lawyers, accountants, business management consultants, business coaches and financial representatives.
- Networking Organizations
- BDC Consulting Group
- Entrepreneur Exchange
Do you have a great business idea or proposal, but need some advice or inspiration to move that idea forward? Then take part in The Entrepreneur Exchange
How to Guides
- Starting a Restaurant, Bar or Coffee Shop in Alberta
- Starting a Convenience Store
- Starting a Bed and Breakfast
- Starting a Childcare Centre
- Starting an Alternative and Complementary Health Care Business
- Starting a Consulting Business
- Starting a Personal Care Home for Seniors
- Starting a Beauty Salon/Barber Shop/Esthetics/Tanning
- How to Buy a Business Checklist
- Buying a Franchise in Alberta
- Checklist to Evaluate a Potential Franchise
- Buying a Business
- BizPaL - Business Permits & Licences
- Municipal Business Licensing
- Provincal Business Licences and Registrations
- Taxation Info-Guide
- Do it yourself Minute Book
- Business Planning Workbook (PDF file)
- Connections: An immigrant’s guide to starting a business in Alberta (PDF file)
- Developing Your Financial Forecasts (PDF file)
- Marketing Effectively in a Western Culture (PDF file)
- Understanding Financing in Alberta (PDF file)
- Community information
- Government Programs and Services Database
Search various categories of business-oriented programs, services and some regulations of the provincial and federal government departments and other organizations that are partners in the Canada Business Service Centres and The Business Link Business Service Centre.
- Start-up Links
These links will transfer you to sites operated by various government departments/agencies and private sector organizations and companies providing information on this topic.
- The Business Link's Search Engine
Search our entire site by keyword.
- The Business Link's Business Officers
Our business experts are always ready to discuss your business needs in confidence.
- Library Pathfinders
Our pathfinders provide a quick reference of The Business Link's library materials available on this topic and many others.