Employment and Training Info-Guide (Alberta)


The Info-Guide is a document designed to help you navigate through the different government programs, services and regulations and identify those of interest. Although most of the questions will be answered in an Info-Guide, the list is, by no means, exhaustive. The selected items provide a helpful overview of the programs, services and regulations in a related area. This blended product of both federal and provincial information is developed to answer a growing demand for strategic information by business people. Municipal and other non-government information could be included, depending on the content and region.


Self Employment Program - Alberta Jobs, Skills, Training and Labour
The Self Employment Program provides clients with formal instruction in business plan development, one-to-one business counselling, coaching, guidance and follow-up during business plan implementation.

For more information contact your nearest Canada Alberta Service Centre or Career Development Centre. Consult the telephone directory for the centre nearest you, or call the Career Information Hotline at 780-422-4266 in Edmonton or 1-800-661-3753 throughout Alberta. A list of the Centres is available on the web at: http://www.alis.gov.ab.ca/career/cs/abcareer.asp

WCB Training-on-the-Job (TOJ) - Workers' Compensation Board
TOJ is a WCB subsidized program that promotes an individual's sustainable return to work following a job change, or job separation due to an accident or injury. Using an employer incentive program (TOJ), the WCB negotiates suitable training opportunities that will benefit both the employer and the skilled trainee.

For further information, please call 1-866-922-9221.


Service Canada Centres
They provide services for Individuals, Business and Organizations. For a complete list of centres visit the Service Canada Website or check the government listings in your telephone directory.

Labour Market Information - Human Resources and Skills Development Canada
LMI is defined as any information that is relevant to the specific environment in which labour supply (i.e. workers) and labour demand (i.e. employers) interact. LMI typically includes information on: wage rates and working conditions; job opportunities; industries and occupations; human resources; and the community.

For further information visit the Website at http://www.rhdcc-hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/home.shtml


Employment Standards - Alberta Jobs, Skills, Training and Labour
Employment Standards provides information and education for both employers and employees on minimum standards of employment in Alberta. Employment Standards receives and investigates complaints when employees cannot resolve their differences with employers. Employment Standards reviews applications and requests from employers, employees and industry representatives for variances from legislation and regulation.

For further information, please call Province-wide at 780-427-3731 (toll free by dialing 310-0000, then entering 427-3731), or visit the Web site at http://employment.alberta.ca/SFW/1224.html

Alberta Health and Wellness administers the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP) a comprehensive government plan of health insurance for Alberta residents. All residents of Alberta must register themselves and their dependants with the AHCIP. To obtain more information contact: 780-427-1432 (Edmonton). Toll-free in Alberta, dial 310-0000 then 780-427-1432.

Labour Standards in the Federal Jurisdiction Workplace - Human Resources and Skills Development Canada
The Labour Program promotes and enforces employer and employee compliance with Part III of the Canada Labour Code (Labour Standards) and the Fair Wages and Hours of Labour Act (Fair Wages). Services through local and regional offices include inspections, investigations of complaints and unjust dismissals; client education; and provision of informational material.

For further information visit the Website at:http://www.rhdcc-hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/labour/employment_standards/fls/research/research05/page08.shtml

Record of Employment (ROE) - Human Resources and Skills Development Canada
The Employment Insurance Act and its regulations require every employer to complete a Record of Employment when an employee stops working. This is considered an interruption of earnings. This happens when the employment ends, or an employee leaves because of pregnancy, injury, illness, adoption leave, layoff, leave without pay, or dismissal.

For further information, please call your local Government of Canada, HRSDC - EI office or Phone: 1-800-561-3992

Payroll Deductions - Canada Revenue Agency
The Trust Accounts Division works to ensure that employers and workers meet the withholding, remitting and reporting requirements of the Income Tax Act, the Canada Pension Plan, the Employment Insurance Act and the Excise Tax Act.It also ensures they meet the requirements for provincial tax withheld at source, for all provinces except Quebec.

For further information, please call 1-800-959-5525 or visit the Web site at http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/payroll

Employer Visits Program - Canada Revenue Agency
CRA officials are available, on request, to visit new employers on their own premises. This service provides new employers with a chance to discuss concerns they may have about recording, withholding, or reporting requirements for employee earnings, income tax, Canada Pension Plan, or Employment Insurance contributions. Our staff can also provide advice on GST filing requirements, inform new businesses about challenges they may encounter, and advise them on where to get information and assistance from us when they need it.

New employers wishing to take advantage of this program should contact the Revenue Collections Division of any tax services office. Addresses and telephone numbers are listed at: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/cntct/prv/ab-eng.html, as well as in the Government of Canada section of the telephone book. For additional details, please call the Business Enquiries Line at 1-800-959-5525 for service in English or 1-800-959-7775 for service in French.

Social Insurance Number - SIN - Human Resources and Skills Development Canada
A Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a unique nine digit number assigned to an individual and used in the administration of various programs, namely, Employment Insurance and the Canada Pension Plan. Employers who want to remit income tax deductions and premiums based on an employee's income must ensure that the employee produces a SIN card within three days after being hired.

For further information, please call your local Service Canada Centre.For a complete list of centres visit the Service Canada Website or check the government listings in your telephone directory.

Workers' Compensation Board (WCB) - Alberta
Workers' compensation is a comprehensive no-fault workplace liability and disability insurance system that protects both employers and workers against the impact of work injuries. It compensates your injured workers for lost income and covers health care and other costs related to their injury. It protects you from being sued by your workers if they are injured on the job. It also protects your workers from being sued by other workers in the event of a workplace injury.

For information, please call Edmonton 780-498-3999 or Calgary 403-517-6000. Call toll free by dialing 310-0000. Visit the Website at http://www.wcb.ab.ca

Occupational Health and Safety - Alberta Jobs, Skills, Training and Labour
The Occupational Health and Safety Act of Alberta requires every employer, under provincial jurisdiction, to ensure, as far as is reasonably practicable, the health and safety of workers. The provisions of appropriate Occupational Health Services by the employer would be part of this requirement. Workplace Health and Safety (WHS), monitors compliance with the Act and associated regulations and provides advice and direction as needed.

For more information about the work environment or work practices contact the Workplace Health and Safety, Call Centre at 1-866-415-8690, contact the Alberta Jobs, Skills, Training and Labour, Workplace Health and Safety (WHS) office nearest you, or visit the WHS Website at http://www.whs.gov.ab.ca

Related Reading

Information contained in this document is of a general nature only and is not intended to constitute advice for any specific fact situation. Users concerned about the reliability of the information should consult directly with the source, or seek legal counsel.

Links Policy
Some of the hypertext links lead to non-federal government sites which are not subject to the Official Languages Act and the material is available in one language only.